A few facts about military veterans who live or are buried throughout York County …
- There approximately 40,000 military veterans living in York County. A few of those are as follows:
- 6,910 York Countians served during World War I
- Over 1000 Civil War Soldiers are buried in York County’s largest cemetery, Prospect Hill Cemetery
- 571 or more York Countians were associated with World War II
- 1 out of every 515 Americans killed in Vietnam came from York County
- York County has over two dozen American Legion and VFW Posts
The facts above are just some of the numbers researched by volunteers at the York County History Center in York, Pennsylvania. These numbers may change with the ongoing research.
ALLVETS is an organization dedicated to the recording of oral histories of York County’s veterans. About 15 oral histories have been recorded. To learn more, you may contact the York County History Center at 250 East Market Street in downtown York.
Hanover is blessed to have organizations dedicated to serving and honoring our veterans. If you see an event that is being held to help our veterans here or who are serving, open your hearts to give your support.